GEOLOGY 1013 – The Third Planet
Quiz #3: Chapters 9 and 10
Multiple choice. (5 points each)
A. Pycnocline D. Passive continental margins B. Thermocline E. Active continental margins C. Bathymetry
1. ______________________ occur where tectonic processes are not occurring and include the continental shelf, the continental slope, and the continental rise.
2. __________________ is a layer of water in which there is a rapid change of density with depth.
3. ____________________ is the measurement of ocean depths and the charting of the shape or topography of the ocean floor.
4. _________________________ are usually narrow and consisting of highly deformed sediments. They occur where oceanic lithosphere is being subducted beneath the margin of a continent.
5. A _______________________ is a layer of water in which there is a rapid change in temperature in the vertical dimension/
A. Turbidity currents D. Terrigenous B. Mid-ocean ridge E. Hydrogenous C. Deep-ocean trenches
6. _________________ sediment consists of minerals that crystallize directly from seawater through various chemical reactions.
7. _________________________ are down slope movements of dense, sediment-laden water that flows down submarine canyons.
8. _______________________ are long, relatively narrow troughs that are the deepest parts of the ocean and are formed where older oceanic crust is being subducted beneath younger oceanic crust.
9. The ______________________ system winds through all major oceans in a manner similar to the seam on a baseball and is the longest topographic feature on Earth, exceeding 70,000 kilometers in length.
10. ____________________ sediment consists primarily of mineral grains that were weathered from continental rocks and transported to the ocean.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document